Martine Ho Reveals She Suffered Facial Paralysis Just Before Planned C-Section

  • On October 9, 2021, Martine Ho addressed her “Internet fam” and revealed that she has been struggling with Ramsay Hunt Syndrome (aka adult chicken pox or shingles). It happened right before she and husband Cliff Ho welcomed their baby daughter, Penelope. Martine said,

    “The morning before my planned Cesarean birth to Penelope, I woke up with the left side [of my face] completely paralyzed. I was brushing my teeth and noticed the water just spilling out and that I was unable to blink. I thought I might be having a stroke actually.”

    She rushed to the doctor and received her diagnosis.

    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine

    Martine Ho’s Ramsay Hunt Syndrome diagnosis

    Martine explained, “When you have chicken pox as a kid, the virus can still live on in your nerves and come back to haunt you as an adult when your immune system is weakened (i.e., during pregnancy or stressful times, which pretty summed up my 2020). In my case, the virus attacked my facial nerve causing the paralysis.”

    ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine

    Unfortunately, Martine has experienced a more serious case of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, resulting in severe nerve damage.

    This means she will “never be able to smile the same [way] again or have the same facial mobility.”

    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine
    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine
    CONTINUE READING BELOW
    Recommended Videos
    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine

    The new mom decided to talk about her condition because she didn’t want to feel ashamed about what she’s going through.

    Since posting her Instagram Stories, fans have showered Martine with so much love. In a new post, she thanked them for their support.

    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine
    ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
    PHOTO BY Instagram/Martine

    “New deeper meaning to smiling on the inside. No words to express the gratitude I have for my community here. Your messages have given me the strength and comfort I needed to to share my journey with facial paralysis. Sending everyone my deepest love and warmest virtual hugs right back xo.”

    This story originally appeared on Cosmo.ph.

    *Minor edits have been made by the SmartParenting.com.ph editors.

    What other parents are reading

Martine Ho Reveals She Suffered Facial Paralysis Just Before Planned C-Section
Source: Progress Pinas

Post a Comment

0 Comments