From Hobby To Pagkakakitaan: Stay-At-Home Mom Crochets Bags ‘Pandagdag Sa Savings Ni Baby’

  • The past year challenged the finances of many Filipino families, with many losing job opportunities because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. For a lot of stay-at-home moms, however, it made them more madiskarte, with some turning their hobbies into income-generating ventures.

    It was the same for mom of one Dannieca Lumongsod. The 35-year-old started crocheting as a hobby in December 2020, and officially selling her creations in April 2021. In just a couple of months, she’s already managed to earn around Php12,000!

    Dannieca with husband, Akeem, and 2-year-old daughter, Prim.
    PHOTO BY Courtesy of Dannieca Lumongsod

    “I saw my sister-in-law (who resides in the U.S.) buy a crochet hook. It was so colorful parang na-hypnotize ako. I asked her for a piece because I wanted to make a project since nakakainip sa bahay,” she tells SmartParenting.com.ph in a quick chat via Facebook Messenger.

    How to crochet for beginners

    Dannieca started her crochet journey by making colorful coasters.
    PHOTO BY Courtesy of Dannieca Lumongsod
    ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW

    Her sister-in-law was gracious enough to give her all the materials and had it shipped via balikbayan box. Dannieca also bought yarns from different suppliers.

    “While waiting, I watched tutorials in YouTube and Pinterest,” she shares. “Nung na-receive ko na [‘yung materials], I couldn’t stop myself anymore from crocheting.”

    These cute dolls were all made by Dannieca by hand.
    PHOTO BY Courtesy of Dannieca Lumongsod

    She started making coasters then eventually made dolls for her 2-year-old daughter, Prim. The dolls take around three to four days to finish since she does it in between taking care of her toddler, husband, and chores. 

    Crochet gives her motivation to be more proactive. “I make sure to finish my chores after lunch so I’ll have the whole afternoon for crocheting,” Dannieca shares.

    How to make money selling crochet items

    When Dannieca improved her skills, she started making bags!
    PHOTO BY Courtesy of Dannieca Lumongsod
    CONTINUE READING BELOW
    Recommended Videos

    When Dannieca started posting her creations on Facebook, her friends and family encouraged her to make more and sell it. In April 2021, the mom officially started selling her bags. She was able to make around 12 of it and has earned between Php10,000 to Php12,000.

    Right now, the mom is working on another project, but admits it’s a little difficult to source the right yarn for her bags as some stores are still closed because of the pandemic. Still, the hobby has helped greatly in letting her earn money for herself.

    She sells the bags for around Php500 to Php800 per piece, depending on the design.
    PHOTO BY Courtesy of Dannieca Lumongsod

    “I am able to add more sa savings ng daughter ko. And I can buy more of what I personally need and want,” she says and jokes, “More milk tea for me!”

    Apart from the money, she says crocheting has become a form of self-care and it’s what “keeps her sane” during the lockdowns in the metro.

    ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW

    “Crocheting is my ‘me-time.’ Since the pandemic started, I wasn’t able to see my friends and rare lang din with relatives,” Dannieca shares.

    “I am at peace when I have a hook and yarn on my hand. Through crochet, I was able to discover that I can do more, I am more productive, and that I really love what I’m doing,” she adds.

    You can also start your own business just by watching tutorials online! Click here for some ideas.

    What other parents are reading

Post a Comment

0 Comments